If you are thinking of selling your home there are a number of low cost actions to make your home stand apart from the competition. First remember most buyers view 11 to 14 homes before they decide to buy. So begin by looking at your house through their eye’s not yours. How would you do that? Start by removing or limiting all family photo’s and then follow the steps below.
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the sunlight.
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night. Open the curtains during the day.
3. Install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly-in its best light. Turn on all lights.
4. Remove all clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
5. Create the illusion of spaciousness.
6. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
7. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
8. Have a family emergency “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
9. Air out your home one half hour before the showing if possible.
10. Lightly spray the room with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse and air before the buyer
11. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before the showing and place it in an out of the way place in the kitchen.
12. Create a master “suite” effect in your decorating.
13. Make sure that beds are made and the linens and curtains are fresh and clean.
14. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
15. Bathrooms should always be kept spotlessly clean.
16. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the shower areas after each use.
17. Recaulk if the caulking is not sparkling white!
18. Put out fresh towels and decorative soap for showings.
19. Set the scene by setting the table! Highlight the potential of your dining room by setting a grand dining table!
20. The kitchen should always be kept spotlessly clean.
21. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
22. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
23. Shampoo all carpets and vacuum them daily.
24. If the carpet does not clean up well you should Replace It!
25. Improve traffic flow through every room and create a feeling of spaciousness in every room by removing unnecessary furniture, knick knacks, hobby items, children’s items, etc.