Homeownership is a foundational part of the American Dream. As we look back on more than a year of sheltering in our homes, having a place of our own is more important than ever. While financial benefits are always a key aspect of homeownership, today, homeowners rank the nonfinancial and personal benefits with even higher value.
Recently, two national surveys revealed the reasons homeownership is such an important part of life. The top three personal benefits of homeownership noted by respondents in Unison’s 2021 report on The State of the American Homeowner are:
- 91% – feel secure, stable, or successful owning a home
- 70% – feel emotionally attached to the homes that have kept them safe over the past year
- 51% – call homeownership a “key part of their life”
These sentiments were supported by the most recent National Housing Survey from Fannie Mae, which also shows that the top reasons Americans value homeownership have nothing to do with money.
Here are the top three points from those who share what homeownership could help them achieve:
- 91% – control over what you do with your living space
- 90% – a sense of privacy and security
- 89% – a good place for your family to raise your children
nonfinancial benefits are a key component to the value of homeownership even more so than the financial side. This has been especially true over the past year.
If you’re ready to take the first steps toward becoming a homeowner lets connect today so you can learn more.